Obtaining a Hawaii Marriage License
You are planning a wedding on the beach in Hawaii and you need to know how to acquire your marriage license. This is where you start!
We offer an overview of requirements and procedures concerning how to obtain a Hawaii Marriage License so you may have a beach wedding in Hawaii.
If you want your marriage to be legal, you must have a marriage license from the State of Hawaii. There is no waiting period in Hawaii and also there are no blood tests required. You may apply online for your marriage license.
How to obtain a Hawaii Marriage License
You may apply for your marriage license online: Click Here to go to the Hawaii State Marriage License site. You may also pay for your marriage license online. Please read all of the information below so that you have a total understanding of this important process.
- Once you have filled out your application on line and have paid for your marriage license online the next steps are when you arrive in Hawaii. Both partners simply go to the Department of Health with your photo ID and they will give you your marriage license. The address is: Hawaii State Health Department Kina`u Hale, 1250 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
- When you fill out the form it will ask you who is going to marry you, a drop down menu will appear, you will see Colin Edward More you may note this on your form. Colin Edward More is our head wedding minister. You may also leave this blank and they will still accept your marriage license form.
- You will bring your license to your wedding and give it to your minister to file. You can download a copy of that license 24 hours after your ceremony. This copy is only good for 30 days but is sufficient for name changes and insurance. The actual license will be sent to you but it can take up to 3 months.
- After your Hawaii wedding ceremony, Sweet Hawaii Wedding’s minister will process your license for you. Don’t worry if you forget to bring your license to your wedding you can always call us with the number and mail us the form.
Some Questions You May Have
Requirements for Getting A Hawaii Marriage License
There are no residence or citizenship requirements.
The legal age to marry is 18 years. However, with the written consent of both parents, legal guardian or family court, the couple may be married at 16 or 17. The parents or guardian do not have to reside in the state. Consent forms may be obtained from the marriage license agent.
Proof of age:
A certified copy of a birth certificate must be presented for anyone 18 and under. For anyone 19 and over, proof of age may be requested in the form of an I.D. or driver’s license.
Cousins may marry, but a blood relationship between the prospective bride and bridegroom cannot be closer than first cousins. For example, uncle-niece, half-brother-sister may not marry.
Some Items To Remember:
- Both the prospective bride and bridegroom must appear together in person before a marriage license agent to get a license.
- A marriage license is issued immediately after the application is made. After being issued, it expires in 30 days; it is good only in the State of Hawaii.
- To marry, males and females must be at least 16 years of age. Males and females under 18 must have written consent from both parents, legal guardians or family court. Males and females at age 15, may marry with the written consent of both parents or legal guardian and the written approval of the judge of the family court.
- A Hawaii marriage performer must be licensed in the State of Hawaii to perform the marriage ceremony.
- For more information, please call the Hawaii Marriage License Office at (808) 586-4544.
Please fill out the Marriage License Application: Click Here to go to the Hawaii State Marriage License site and you may also pay the $65 fee. Once you arrive in Hawaii you must pick up your license at the Hawaii State Health Department:
Kina`u Hale, 1250 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
Hours: Monday-Friday 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. (except holidays)
Phone: (808) 586-4545
Both parties of the marriage must appear personally before the marriage license agent with photo id. Proxies are not allowed. You must marry 30 days after picking up your marriage license or it becomes void.
Weekend license issuers charge $70.
A. Your divorce decree.
Some Items To Remember:
- Both partners must appear together in person at the department of health with photo ID to receive their marriage license.
- To marry, couples must be at least 16 years of age. Couples under 18 must have written consent from both parents, legal guardians or family court.
- All of Sweet Hawaii Marriage performers are licensed to perform your marriage ceremony in the State of Hawaii.
- For more information, please call the Hawaii Marriage License Office at (808) 586-4544
- If you are divorced please bring your divorce decree to show to your licensing agent.
Love, Fun, Laughter. Happily Ever After!
Stress-free Wedding Planning, Breathtaking Beaches, and Authentic Hawaiian Traditions
Or customize your own unique Hawaii Beach Wedding, Elopement or Vow Renewal using the button below.